Floor Plan of Katoomba Cottage

Floor Plan of Katoomba Cottage

Sunday, August 5, 2012

Fretwork.........Same-Same-But-Different !

KATOOMBA COTTAGE UPDATE - ENJOY ;-)
 
To view this and all posts in their true and fabulous format, go to http://katoombacottage.blogspot.com.au

What a wonderful item is 'Fretwork'. They grace, dress and decorate most of Australia's Heritage homes all across our vast land but who said it was easy......................



I bought from good old Bunnings a standard door size sheet of laminated pine timber 35mm thick, about the size of a standard door for about $89.00 and asked them to cut it into even strips at an extra $1 per cut, this made it easy to put into the back of the Mazda 2 to get home. I also bought my new favourite tool, a jig-saw and a fine quality blade, best to pick up a few as they do tend to break when you're not used to working with them.


I set about drawing a design for my corner pieces and Mum said my first idea just wasn't the right way around, too pointy & she was right so start again and came up with this one with a lovely Medieval centre. Next I cut out the paper pattern and marked up 4 corner pieces per timber strip with a tad left over and it came to 32 units, much more than I need but good to have a few spares.
Using clamps to hold the board in place, I set about learning how to use the jig-saw so 'Same-Same-But-Different'!!!

There is a lot to learn about using a jig saw but in the end I feel I have the hang of it and great to have such a handy tool in the shed.


All fun at first but I think it's a little job that you just have to put down till you're really in the mood again.
After the sections are cut out you then have to sand them smooth, I used a No.80 white paper, seemed to create a good finish and pine is not so hard to work with.

Ok, this next picture is up side down but this is how they will be attached to the corner posts, cute!
What you do need to do before painting them is drill holes for the screws and drill the top of the hole with a counter sunk drill bit so that the screw sits flush to the timber.
The first coat of paint is a Taubmans 3 in 1 Primer, Sealer, Undercoat, one coat is normally enough but I have given my little corners 2 coats and that includes the unseen side edges for extra protection. They will be finished off with a gloss white but I will do that once they are attached to the Verandahs and garage posts.


Really I wonder how they did it in the good old days?
Here are a few pictures that will show you just how patient I really am!!!



 Get the idea? You might say I have time on my hands but the truth is I did all this work last August and thank the heavens I did as I am so flat out now in the finishing stages of the house.
Painted and ready to be attached, I used gal screws.

 This one above is right at the front door; I just love the sharp colour of the house in the grey and the stark white of the trimmings.
 The back Verandah above before the painters came.

 Above is a photo I took looking to the front yard and the trees are so lovely, there is a 13 meter set back from the street so lots of privacy.

Placing them around the carport was important to me as I feel it keeps the look flowing and sweetens up a garage area.
 The carport roof height is over 3 meters high, how great is that; you can drive through if you want to build a garage down the back yard or hang the Kayaks from the rafters, great space.

I'm probably getting carried away with photos of Fretwork but when you spend so much time cutting each one out to try to make them all exactly the same, you want the world to know a then you find they are all so different and I feel a Cottage like this should have some truly handmade items attached, this is what will give her the character to set her apart.


I am so proud of my Cottage right now!!!